H.E President Mustaka Akıncı who visits the Ankara today morning, by the invitation of Mr. Erdoğan, visited Anıtkabir after Prime Ministry.
Upon an invitation from Turkish President Recap Taya Erdoğan, H.E. President Mustafa Akıncı paid his first official visit to Turkey after coming into the office of the presidency.
Upon an invitation from the President of Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdoğan,
H.E. President Mustafa Akıncı will pay his first official visit to abroad to Turkey on
Wednesday, May 6.
President Akıncı met U.S. Ambassador Koenig H.E. President Mustafa Akıncı met U.S. Ambassador to Cyprus John M. Koenig. The meeting began at 11 a.m and took place at the Presidency.
Speech by President Mustafa Akıncı during Hand Over Ceremony:
As a matter of fact, different names were given to the bastion, where the office of the President is located now.
In 1567, when the walls of Nicosia were built by the Venetians, the bastion was named after “Quirini”, one of the royal families’ name. After 1570 when the Ottomans conquered Nicosia, the name was changed to "Cephane"(ammunition) since an ammunition-store was found there.
Following the formation of the Turkish Cyprus National Archive and Research Center, at the Top Hisarı (Cannon Bastion) in Nicosia in 1971, the research study hall was opened in 18 June 1973. On 11 January 1975, the Archive moved to the premises in Kyrenia which is still in service today.
The CMP was established in April 1981 by agreement between the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities under the auspices of the United Nations. Over the next two decades, work on both sides focused on conducting investigations to establish the fate of the missing and negotiate a common official list of all those who disappeared.