President Ersin Tatar speaks to the press at the Presidency following his meeting with the Greek Cypriot Leader Nikos Christodoulides in the UN Buffer Zone
“We held consultations on the six initiatives that were mutually agreed in Geneva at the informal meeting on Cyprus in a broader format”
President Ersin Tatar spoke to the press following his return from his meeting with the Greek Cypriot Leader Nikos Christodoulides, that was held in the Buffer Zone, at the UN Headquarters building of Colin Stewart, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Cyprus and Head of UNFICYP, who chaired the meeting.
Stating that the 90-minute-long meeting was “positive”, President Tatar said that “we held consultations on the six initiatives that were mutually agreed last month in Geneva at the informal meeting on Cyprus in a broader format”.
President Tatar said that he had expressed to the Greek Cypriot leader his “profound disappointment” with the ceremonies held in the Greek Cypriot Administration of Southern Cyprus on Tuesday, that marked the 70th anniversary of the EOKA terrorist organisation.
“I expressed our condemnation as the Turkish Side of the so-called ceremonies and the statements made by Greek Cypriot officials that glorified and celebrated EOKA, that was a terrorist organisation established to unite the Island of Cyprus with Greece (ENOSIS), which carried out Island-wide violence and atrocities against British servicemen and Turkish Cypriot People as part of their aspiration to realise this objective. I explained at the meeting that we are naturally put into doubt with regards the sincerity of those who embrace this sort of mentality and understanding. I have consistently put forward a constructive approach and positive agenda, so that we can open a new page for the Island that allows for the peaceful coexistence of Turkish Cypriot People and Greek Cypriot People as good neighbours,” President Tatar said.
NEGOTIATIONS ON A FEDERAL BASIS ARE EXHAUSTED
President Tatar stated that, during his meeting with the Greek Cypriot leader today, he reiterated that “negotiations on the federal basis have been tried, failed and exhausted,” and added: “Until a negotiated settlement is reached, I have emphasised that the future of Cyprus should be shaped through dialogue and the Greek Cypriot Side’s engagement with the Turkish Cypriot Side on all issues, which is not an option, but a necessity.”
“The Greek Cypriot Leader has stated that he will not engage in discussions on matters concerning what he perceives as his sovereignty, as though he holds exclusive rights over the entire Island, and I reiterated that the Greek Cypriot Side has no authority, jurisdiction or legitimacy beyond the Southern part of the Island,” President Tatar said.
“I emphasised that in Geneva, I had put forward new cooperation proposals on major projects, that would have been taken up in a structured platform that would benefit the Turkish Cypriot People and Greek Cypriot People. . . based on dialogue and diplomacy to address potential disputes. . . and to facilitate cooperation between the two Sides until a negotiated settlement could be reached. I expressed my disappointment that the Greek Cypriot leader had in Geneva rejected my proposals outright,” President Tatar said.
President Tatar said they had held discussions on the six initiatives that were mutually agreed at the informal meeting on Cyprus in a broader format that was convened by the UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres in Geneva last month.
Stating that “the other side’s [Greek Cypriot] position is that they are sovereign, and that the Turkish Cypriot People can have some sort of allegiance to this," President Tatar said: "This understanding has once again been seen in the Greek Cypriot Side’s proposals with regards to the Solar Energy System to be established in the UN Buffer Zone with EU financing. This system could be of huge benefit to both Sides that would be supported by the Turkish Cypriot Side, however for the project to come to fruition, there is a need for our share of electricity, to be transferred directly to our KIB-TEK administration.”
UN SECRETARY-GENERAL TO APPOINT MS. HOLGUIN AS HIS PERSONAL ENVOY
President Tatar, in reference to the appointment of a Personal Envoy of the UN Secretary-General, stated: “The UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, had stated during the informal meeting in Geneva last month, that he will be appointing Maria Angela Holguin Cuellar as his Personal Envoy, for the implementation of the topics agreed upon in Geneva. The Turkish Cypriot Side approved this appointment following consultations with Türkiye. As far as I understand, Southern Cyprus has also approved the reappointment of Ms. Holguin as a Personal Envoy of the Secretary-General. Ms. Holguin will assist us in the implementation of these six initiatives. I expect the appointment of Ms. Holguin to be officially announced by the UN very soon.”
TECHNICAL COMMITTEE ON YOUTH
In reference to the creation of a Technical Committee on Youth, President Tatar said: “We confirmed our understanding on establishing a Technical Committee on Youth, and we agreed to submit to the UN by April 15, a list of 12 people from each side, under the age of 35.”
President Tatar added: “We have also reached a consensus that, out of the 12 members from each side, half will be made up of women.”
INITIATIVES ON THE ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE
Stressing that in the meeting they had also discussed the topics on environment and climate change, President Tatar said: “I explained that this is indeed a very important topic, as climate change is the most pressing global challenge of our era and has connotations on every aspect of our lives. We agreed to assign the Technical Committee on Environment to work together on the possible effects of climate change, and the Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage to work on the restoration of cemeteries – which is a very important humanitarian initiative.”
OPENING OF NEW CROSSING POINTS
Commenting on the issue of the opening of new crossing points, President Tatar stated: “Unfortunately, there has been no change in the position of the Greek Cypriot Side, who are insisting on having South-to-South transit corridors in Erenköy and Kiracıköy. Transit corridors do not fit the definition of a crossing point. I have reiterated our constructive proposal to open new crossing points in Haspolat and/or Akıncılar, that will address the traffic congestion in Metehan – where 65 per cent of vehicle crossings. . . eight million crossings, were recorded in 2024. Opening new crossing points to the east of Lefkoşa will alleviate the traffic congestion in Metehan and will be of benefit to the Turkish Cypriot People and Greek Cypriot People that are both negatively affected by this situation.”
President Tatar stated that he has repeated his request to the Greek Cypriot Leader to make an alternative proposal on the matter.
DEMINING
President Tatar underlined that landmines constitute a “serious danger to innocent civilians,” adding: “I explained today that it is of utmost importance to achieve an environment free from the threat of landmines. I reiterated that the Turkish Cypriot Side stands ready to support the demining activities to be undertaken with the goal of clearing suspected hazardous areas to free the Island of Cyprus from all landmines. I proposed that demining activities should be facilitated by UNFICYP in coordination with the two sides. I believe we have reached a common understanding on the matter, that will be taken up by my Special Representative and the Greek Cypriot negotiator who will continue discussions on this matter."
LEADERS’ MEETING
Stating that there could be a “social meeting” with the Greek Cypriot leader prior to the Easter Holiday in Southern Cyprus on April 24, President Tatar said: “Our objective is to continue discussions related to the initiatives and openings on different projects that are of benefit to the Turkish Cypriot People and Greek Cypriot People.”
INTERCONNECTOR CABLE TO THE EUROPEAN UNION VIA THE REPUBLIC OF TÜRKİYE
President Ersin Tatar stated that he had also put forward his long-standing cooperation proposal, for the Island to be included in the European Union interconnector grid through the Republic of Türkiye. “I repeated my cooperation proposal for an interconnector cable to run via the Republic of Türkiye to the EU grid,” President Tatar said. “Currently, both sides are able to supply electricity to the other when the need arises. However, joining the EU grid appears to be the most effective way for transition to green energy and to overcome the difficulties experienced by both sides due to increasing energy demands. My proposal is logical, reasonable and feasible. In Geneva, the Greek Cypriot leader had, in response to my proposal, stated that this issue can only be discussed between Türkiye and the EU. Mr. Hakan Fidan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Türkiye, had responded at that very moment to the Greek Cypriot leader, saying Türkiye supports my proposal, and that this issue can be discussed here and now [during the informal meeting in Geneva]. However, Mr. Christodoulides has stated that he will not take the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus as an interlocutor in such matters. However, this issue is about cooperation that will be of benefit to the two Peoples, like every other initiative that have been mutually agreed."
President Tatar underlined that he is in favour of dialogue so that constructive, positive and logical proposals and initiatives can be made that will benefit both sides.
APPREHENSION OF INVESTORS
President Tatar stated that he also raised the issue relating to the investors being apprehended in Southern Cyprus which is damaging efforts to build trust between the two Sides. “I explained that they should not employ a strategy of apprehending investors, and to use this as a means of placing pressure on the Turkish Cypriot Side by damaging our economy. This does not have any benefit to the two Peoples and in fact it defeats the objective of this new atmosphere and effort. . . which is fundamentally to build trust between the two Sides and enhance people-to-people contacts. Apprehending investors will only serve to escalate tensions between the two Peoples, which is not what is desired.”
DISCRIMINATION AGAINST TRNC CITIZENS BY THE GREEK CYPRIOT SIDE
President Tatar lastly said that he had in the meeting raised the issue of “discrimination of the Greek Cypriot Side against TRNC citizens of Turkish origin – who are not being permitted to cross to Southern Cyprus”.
“I explained that this situation is unacceptable. There should not be any sort of discrimination between our citizens,” President Tatar said.